Review: Sophomores encounter history’s horrors when reading “Night”

By Michelle Wagner

Elie Wiesel’s “Night” is a memoir that takes place during the Holocaust. Each year, Jefferson High School sophomores read the story of Wiesel’s life as a Jewish man living during World War II, and travel with him as he survives multiple concentration camps.

While JHS students read “Night” in English class, the story feels like it comes from the pages of a history textbook.

Students learn about World War II and the Holocaust multiple times in history classes throughout the years. But the facts that millions of Jews were killed and that some were actually killed in gas showers by the Nazis doesn’t hit home until you read a first-hand account.

In my opinion, this book was OK.

The most memorable parts came from Elie’s trials with his father. The pair lied at the first concentration camp so that they could stay together throughout their entire journey. If Elie wouldn’t have lied, he would’ve been sent to the children’s camp, since he was only 15 years old at the time.

Toward the end of the book, when Elie’s father struggled to stay hopeful when they had to run through the snow toward another concentration camp. But Elie made sure that they both made it.

That’s the best takeaway from the book: It shows that you should not give up or lose hope, because things will get better in time.