Sports Round-Up

Cougars win some, lose some at January's end

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sports Round-Up

Sequoia Garrard jumps for a layup in a home game against Washington High School earlier in the season.

By Makayla Miles

Like the weather outside, our sports teams at Jefferson High School saw quite a mix.

• To start off the week, the girls basketball team defeated Park View High School on Jan. 22. The next day, the Lady Cougars continued their luck, winning at home against Hedgesville. But by the end of the week, the girls’ luck has faded. On Jan. 25, the Lady Cougars lost to Spring Mills High School by four points in a home game.

Jefferson and Washington’s cheer teams come together for an exhibition show this past Saturday, January 27th.

• For the boy’s basketball team, the luck wasn’t extended. In their away game on Jan. 24 the boys lost to Millbrook. As the week came to an end, the team took on Hedgesville High School at an away game on Jan. 26. The contest proved another loss for the varsity team. However, junior varsity pulled off a win.
  • Sadly, the Wrestling team felt the same luck at their meet on Jan. 27, with a meet at Clarke County High School. They wrestled against Clarke County High School, Dominion High School and Tuscarora High School. Unfortunately, they lost against all three schools. A few Cougars took home individual victories, though: Jacob Biller and Colton White both went 3-0, and Marco Tapia and Oden Smith went 2-1.
  • The same day, the swim team hosted a home meet at Shepherd University against Washington High School. The Jefferson girls brought home the win, while the boys lost.
  • Jan. 27 was a busy day across all sports, as the cheerleading team put on an exhibition show with Washington High School. They performed for the middle school teams,who were competing. The show was a success.