Filed under News, Showcase

Renaissance Cards: A primer

Incentives recognize, encourage dedication to academics and good behavior

Back to Article
Back to Article

Renaissance Cards: A primer

Renaissance Cards, a relatively new rewards program for students, were printed in hot green for the 3rd 9 Weeks.

Last year, Jefferson High School started to take part in Jostens’ Renaissance program, and with it came Renaissance Cards.

But what are the cards? And how do students earn them?

There are five different types of Renaissance Cards:

• This first, called the “Spirit Card,” is for new students and freshmen. They have no criteria in order to receive them and are given at the first quarter.
  • Students earn a  “Gold Card” by meeting or exceeding a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A., having no discipline referrals, and having no Cougar Hour detentions.
  • Students earn a “Maroon Card” by have three or less tardies, three or less absences, having no discipline referrals, and having no Cougar Hour detentions.
  • Students earn a “Cougar Card” by meeting or exceeding a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A, having 2 or less days of absence, having two or less tardies to school, having no discipline referrals, and again having no Cougar Hour detention.
  • Students earn a “Platinum Card” with a 4.0 or above cumulative G.P.A., have perfect attendance, are tardy free to school, have no discipline referrals, and have no Cougar Hour detentions.

Ms. Pearrell, who manages JHS Renaissance, also manages the cards. She said that the main goal for Renaissance Cards is to give a nice incentive to students who meet the criteria.

“We try to promote students to give their best efforts at school, whether it has to do with not being tardy to school or getting an A in that one class that is giving someone trouble,” she said.

Depending on the card earned, students receive an increasing number of incentives. Examples include: A free snack at the Cougar Store, 10 extra credit points (if the teacher allows it), a free homework pass (if the teacher allows it), free entrance to a school event (with some exclusions applied), and The Treasure Box (see Ms. Pearrell). To see which incentives teachers will accept, check the classroom bulletin board.

Also, seniors who earn a Renaissance Card for the fourth nine weeks will be granted an extra graduation ticket.

Delaney Duncan, a senior, said the bonus points have come in handy.

“My favorite incentive of the Renaissance Cards is the option for ten extra credit points, ” she said. “They are really helpful at the end of the nine weeks.”

Josie Binkley, a junior, did see some downsides to the cards.

“They can have their disadvantages as well,” she said. “The cards tends to create a generalization of competitive nature in school.”