Freshmen plug into reality for “National Unplugging Day”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mason Reddington, a Freshmen in Mrs. Carters sixth period, unplugs to love his mom.

By Adam Hawthorne

With teenagers constantly caught nose-deep in their electronics, Mrs. Carter and her 9th grade students sought refuge by participating in “National Unplugging Day,” held from sundown on March 9 until sundown of March 1o.

National Unplugging Day is a global “gateway” towards a 24-hour period where cell phones are put into “sleeping bags” and humans are plugging back into their lives in front of their eyes. Over 35,000 people participate a year; and this year it was assigned to Mrs. Carter’s 9th grader science students. They also kept a journal about their experiences, noting the anxiety or a sense of relief they experienced while living life away from their cell phones.

Students placed their smartphones in this bag to resist using them for a 24-hour period as part of “National Unplugging Day.”

Students had to choose a reason why they were unplugging for the day. Common reasons included focusing on studying, sports or homework.

There were, however, some more interesting topics. Mason Reddington, a freshman, decided that it was his time to unplug for a much greater cause: loving his mother.

“I sent my last streaks at midnight to make sure I wouldn’t lose them and then turned off my phone and put it in its sleeping bag,” he said. “In the morning I woke up, told my mom that I loved her, and then went on to play soccer for most of the day.”

This assignment was one to remember, but when asked if he would partake in it again, Reddington’s answer was a clear no.

This assignment was easier for some than it was to others. One student chose an alternative option: changing her phone to a greyscale color scheme in hopes that her cellphone would become boring without the colors. She soon came to realize it was difficult to tell the app icons apart. She did, however, limit the amount of time she was on her cellphone.

Responses were mixed. Carter said that while some students struggled, others, “felt the nirvana that we enjoy without our cellphones.”