First Day: Renaissance Style

Back to Article
Back to Article

First Day: Renaissance Style

Mr. Stewart gets students pumped up for the Renaissance Rally on the first day of school.

By J.B. Pitayatonakarn

One of the most dreaded days of the summer every kid, teen and young adult fear is the first day of school. After long nights of partying, staying up til dawn, relaxing and carefree of any sort of responsibility, all comes down after you realize, “oh hamburgers, school is tomorrow.”

First day back, you look around and see many faces, some old and some new. Everyone usually dreads coming back. Some enjoy, it as they get to reunite with their friends once again after many failed attempts at,”Oh, lets hang out this summer.”

Walking into JHS on my first day of school, I have to admit that I was somewhat excited. I got to see old friends, meet new people.

And oddly enough, I and many other people I know, such as MacKenzie Myers,16, have said the same.

” I was excited for school because i was starting to get bored at home, and I wanted to see all my friends again,” she said.

As our first day went on, we all got to meet our teachers, see if our friends had the same classes as we do, meet new people and go over all the basic procedures that everyone should know by heart.

But 2018 was different. We didn’t have our normal periods. No, we had an assembly. A Renaissance Rally, to be specific.

Immediately everyone dreaded this knowledge since they all assumed it was some boring 45-minute-long speech. To our surprise we found that no, it wasn’t some boring speech.

It was like a circus in there. The school’s gym had a DJ in the corner blasting music. Our Athletic Director, Mr. Stewart, was in a grass skirt getting everyone in the gym riled up. They had all of us divided up into teams.

The assembly was like a “pre-homecoming” pep rally, it introduced our football team and other sports and major clubs at JHS, and it was a thrill ride. Everyone was cheering on and having a good time.

Jaden Benner participates in a tug-of-war contest during the Renaissance Rally.

Of course some people were still gloomy, but most of the people I saw were really happy and having a great time. Students cheered their teammates on, screamed at the top of their lungs, and jumped up and down. It was nice to see almost everyone happy on the first day of school.

I thought First Day: Renaissance Style and the pep rally got lot of students pumped up for school, in addition to making freshmen feel welcome.